Day 1 of the BLC conference is an early one with a lot of people attending the "earlybird workshops", grabbing a bite to eat and then off to the keynote....all before 8:30 am!
- "Can we shift control (in the schools) to the kids to empower their learning?"
- In examinations....are we testing memorization or are we testing accessing knowledge/information. If the latter then students should be able to bring all of their resources with them into the examination room.
- "Who is doing the thinking work in your classroom?" Usually the teachers while the students think passively and only do what is asked of them.
Tim Tyson spoke of what a Web 2.0 school should look like....the relationship of technology and the student body:
- learners authentically engaged
- self-directed learning
- project driven instruction
- independent problem solvers
- empowered by technology innovation
- collaborative learning environment
Session 2 - Marc Prensky:
Marc presented several points for the audience to think about. He believes there will be several things to look at for the future:
- programming as the 21st century language
- exponential change
- the new paradigm of learning
- the new rules of engagement
We should have our kids master:
- oral communication
- logical thinking
- the 7 habits of highly effective people (this isn't a secret from the adult world...share it with our kids)